Whether it's a big-budget corporate video (like the one at left for UTi Worldwide), or a zero-budget, self-shot clip, I've been engaged with all aspects of video production, including:
- Concepting, planning and scripting
- Pre-production logistics
- Shooting and editing (both myself and with professional vendors)
- Video hosting/management (via Brightcove/white label providers, YouTube, etc.) and display (via website, social media, etc.)
I have worked directly with three CEOs (one at Capital One and two at UTi Worldwide) on videos featuring them. I was involved with writing and editing scripts; setting up and overseeing or performing the shoots; and giving presentation advice and stage direction on the fly.
More typically, I have developed numerous short clips for websites, social media and intranets. These have included both strategic programs (such as a series of employee testimonials to support recruitment efforts) as well as tactical, opportunistic responses to video submitted "out of the blue" from employees and customers.
Finally, as a public relations agency account executive, I produced and distributed video news releases, including interviews and B-roll.
An increasingly valuable role that communications professionals play in supporting marketing and sales efforts is through producing and updating collateral. I have been intimately involved with each of the following types of materials for agency clients and corporate employers:
- Data sheets, flyers and brochures
- Case studies and white papers
- Presentations/slide decks
- Posters/signage and infographics
- Press kit materials
- Mailers and promotional items
- Magazines and newsletters
Corporate Identity and Style/Editorial Guidelines
At the foundation of an organization's brand (and essential to consistent, professional development of the materials described above) are its graphic identity and editorial style. I have worked directly with designers and agencies to develop brand standards and, based on my experience with academic and journalistic styles, I have written editorial guidelines for Capital One and UTi Worldwide.
I have also worked with designers and photographers to develop numerous brand deliverables:
- Graphic design (logos, icons and other graphics)
- Templates for email/letters/memos, newsletters, presentations/slide decks and marketing/sales collateral